This handout addresses some normal questions about Eliquis. It doesn’t contain all the accessible information. It doesn’t replace conversing with your doctor or pharmacist.
All medicines have dangers and advantages. Your doctor has gauged the dangers of you taking Eliquis against the advantages it is relied upon to have for you. In the event that you have any worries about taking this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Keep this handout with the medicine. You may need to peruse it once more.
What Eliquis is utilized for
What Eliquis does
This medicine is utilized to:
- counteract blood clusters in your veins after a hip or knee substitution medical procedure.
- After a task, you are at an expanded danger of getting blood clusters.
- treat blood clusters happening in profound veins (Deep Vein Thrombosis [DVT]) and clumps in your lungs (Pulmonary Embolism [PE]) and furthermore to keep these from repeating.
- counteract stroke and blood clusters in a condition called atrial fibrillation, which is a sort of irregular heart mood.
- With atrial fibrillation, some portion of the heart does not thump the manner in which it should. This can prompt blood clumps framing and increment your danger of having a stroke.
How Eliquis functions
The dynamic substance in Eliquis is apixaban. It has a place with a gathering of medicines called antithrombotic specialists.
It works by restraining a blood coagulation shaping substance called Factor Xa.
Inquire as to whether you have any questions concerning why this medicine has been endorsed for you. Your doctor may have endorsed it for another reason.
- This medicine isn’t addictive.
- This medicine is accessible just with a doctor’s remedy.
- Eliquis isn’t relied upon to influence your capacity to drive a vehicle or work hardware.
Use in Children
There isn’t sufficient information to prescribe the utilization of this medicine in kids and teenagers younger than 18 years.
Before you take Eliquis
When you should not take it
Try not to take Eliquis in the event that you have a sensitivity to:
- any medicine containing apixaban
- any of the fixings recorded toward the finish of this flyer.
A portion of the manifestations of a hypersensitive response may include:
- shortness of breath
- wheezing or trouble relaxing
- swelling of the face, lips, tongue or different pieces of the body
- rash, tingling or hives on the skin
Try not to take Eliquis If that you have, or have had, any of the accompanying ailments:
- any sickness or damage to a body organ that is effectively draining or at high danger of draining, for example, draining ulcer in the stomach or gut, late seeping in the cerebrum, malignant growth at high danger of dying
- liver infection which prompts an expanded danger of dying
- extremely diminished kidney work. Your doctor will decide your kidney work
- an ongoing activity on the mind, spinal segment or eye(s)
- late mind or spine damage
- anomalies of any veins that may prompt expansion in dying
- any vein variations from the norm of your throat or “neck”
- any malady or damage to a body organ that could prompt critical draining for example stomach ulcers, gut ulcers.
Try not to take Eliquis If that you are taking the accompanying medicines:
- medicines for parasitic diseases, for example, ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole or posaconazole, except if they are just connected to the skin
- hostile to viral medicines for HIV/AIDS for example ritonavir
- different medicines to prevent your blood from thickening for example heparin, enoxaparin, warfarin, rivaroxaban or dabigatran.
If you are uncertain about whether you should begin taking this medicine, converse with your doctor.
Try not to take this medicine after the expiry date imprinted on the pack or if the bundling is torn or hints at altering. In the event that it has terminated or is harmed, returns it to your pharmacist for transfer.
Also See: What is eGFR?
Before you begin to take it
Tell your doctor in the event that you have hypersensitivities to some other medicines, nourishments, additives or colors.
Tell your doctor in the event that you are 75 years or more seasoned or If that you have or have had any of the accompanying ailments which may prompt an expanded danger of dying:
- a heart condition is known as bacterial endocarditis
- sort of stroke called “hemorrhagic stroke”
- blood issue that influences your capacity to frame clumps and quit dying
- later or past ulcer of your stomach or inside
- moderate or gentle kidney infection
- liver infection
- have a lung condition called bronchiectasis
- have had a background marked by seeping in your lungs
- hypertension that isn’t controlled with prescriptions.
Your doctor may choose to hold you under closer perception.
Tell your doctor If that you have a prosthetic heart valve or serious rheumatic coronary illness, particularly mitral stenosis (issue with the mitral valve in your heart).
In the event that you are having hip or knee substitution medical procedure and your task includes a catheter or infusion into your spinal segment for example for epidural or spinal anesthesia or torment decrease:
- tell your doctor quickly If that you get deadness or shortcoming of your legs or issues with your inside or bladder after the finish of anesthesia, in light of the fact that earnest consideration is important.
Tell your doctor If that you are pregnant or plan to wind up pregnant. Eliquis isn’t suggested for use in pregnant ladies. Your doctor can talk about with you the dangers and advantages included.
Tell your doctor in the event that you are bosom sustaining or expect to bosom feed. Eliquis isn’t suggested amid bosom bolstering. You ought not bosom feed and take Eliquis in the meantime. The dynamic fixing in Eliquis might be available in bosom milk and represents a draining danger to the child. You and your doctor ought to choose If that you will take Eliquis or bosom feed.
In the event that you have not informed your doctor concerning any of the abovementioned, let him know/her before you begin taking Eliquis.
Taking different medicines
Tell your doctor or pharmacist If that you are taking some other medicines, including:
- every professionally prescribed medicine
- all medicines, nutrients, homegrown enhancements or normal treatments you purchase without a remedy from a drug store, market, naturopath or wellbeing nourishment shop.
A few medicines might be influenced by Eliquis or may influence how it functions. You may require distinctive measures of your medicines, or you may need to take diverse medicines. Your doctor will prompt you.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist If that you are taking any of the accompanyings:
- medicines used to treat parasitic contaminations, for example, ketoconazole (Nizoral®), itraconazole (Sporanox®), voriconazole (Vfend®) and posaconazole (Noxafil®)
- hostile to viral medicines for HIV/AIDS for example ritonavir (Norvir®)
- rifampin or rifampicin (Rifadin®)
- medicines to treat epilepsy, for example, phenytoin (Dilantin®), carbamazepine (Tegretol®), phenobarbitone
- St John’s wort
- medicines to treat sorrow, for example, sertraline, citalopram and venlafaxine
- medicines used to treat agony and irritation including non-steroidal calming drugs (NSAIDs, for example, naproxen (Naprosyn®) or ibuprofen (Aspro®)
- different medicines used to avoid blood clumps, for example, enoxaparin (Clexane®), clopidogrel (Iscover®, Plavix®), heparin, fondaparinux (Arixtra®), bivalirudin (Angiomax®), rivaroxaban (Xarelto®), dabigatran (Pradaxa®), dipyridamole (Persantin®)
- the anti-microbial, clarithromycin.
(Not all brand names are given above so check with your doctor or pharmacist).
Your doctor and pharmacist have more information on medicines to be cautious with or maintain a strategic distance from while taking this medicine.
Instructions to take Eliquis
Pursue all bearings given to you by your doctor or pharmacist cautiously. They may differ from the information contained in this flyer.
If you don’t comprehend the guidelines on the container, approach your doctor or pharmacist for help.
The amount to take
Your doctor will reveal to you what number of tablets you have to take every day.
If you are having hip or knee substitution medical procedure
The prescribed portion is one 2.5 mg tablet taken two times per day.
If you have blood clusters
The prescribed portion to treat blood clusters is two 5 mg tablets taken two times every day for 7 days, at that point one 5 mg tablet taken two times every day.
The prescribed portion to avoid blood clumps that repeat is one 2.5 mg tablet taken twice day by day.
If you have atrial fibrillation
The suggested portion is ordinarily one 5 mg tablet taken two times per day.
The suggested portion is one 2.5 mg tablet taken two times every day if you meet any two of the accompanying:
- are 80 years or more seasoned
- gauge 60 kilograms or under
- have diminished kidney work.
Step by step instructions to take it
Swallow the tablet(s) entire with a full glass of water.
If you can’t swallow the tablet(s) entire, pursue the means underneath to smash the tablet(s). This will help ensure that the majority of the pounded tablet(s) will be taken.
- utilize a mortar and pestle or a comparable gadget to smash the tablet(s)
- exchange the powder to a drinking glass or a little bowl
- when utilizing water, 5% dextrose in water or squeezed apple:
- – include a little measure of water/5% dextrose in water/squeezed apple (30 mL) to the mortar and pestle/gadget and mix
- – exchange the water/5% dextrose in water/squeezed apple to the drinking glass
- – blend the powder with the water/5% dextrose in water/squeezed apple and drink immediately
- – flush the glass with a little measure of water/5% dextrose in water/squeezed apple and drink immediately.
- when utilizing fruit purée:
- – blend the powder with a little measure of fruit purée (30 g) in a little bowl and eat with a spoon immediately
- – include a little measure of water (30 mL) to the mortar and pestle/gadget and mix
- – exchange the water to the bowl and drink immediately
- – flush the bowl and the spoon with a little measure of water and drink immediately.
If essential, your doctor may likewise give you the smashed tablet(s) blended in 60 mL of water or 5% dextrose in water, through a nasogastric tube.
It doesn’t make a difference if you take this medicine previously or after nourishment.
At the point when to take it
- Accept the main tablet as coordinated by your doctor.
- If you are having hip or knee substitution medical procedure it is normal to begin taking your tablets 12 to 24 hours after your activity.
- Take your medicine at about a similar time every day. Taking it in the meantime every day will have the best impact. It will likewise enable you to recollect when to take it.
To what extent to take it
Keep taking your medicine for whatever length of time that your doctor lets you know.
Try not to quit taking your medicine or lower the measurements without checking with your doctor.
If you quit taking it all of a sudden, you might be at an expanded danger of building up a blood coagulation, which can prompt major issues, for example, a stroke if you have atrial fibrillation.
If you are having hip or knee substitution medical procedure
- You have had a hip substitution, you will, for the most part, take the tablets for around 5 weeks.
- If you have had a knee substitution, you will, for the most part, take the tablets for around about fourteen days.
If you have blood clumps
- To treat blood clumps you will generally take the tablets for as long as a half year. If important, you may need to keep taking the tablets, more often than not at a lower portion, to counteract further blood clumps.
If you have atrial fibrillation
- Keep taking your medicine for whatever length of time that your doctor lets you know.
If you require cardioversion
- Your irregular heartbeat should be reestablished by a method called cardioversion, take your medicine at the occasions your doctor instructs you, to help forestall blood clumps that may result in strokes or different issues.
If you neglect to take it
- Accept your next tablet when you recollect, at that point keep accepting the tablets as ordinary (two times per day).
- Try not to take a twofold portion to compensate for the overlooked tablet.
- You don’t know what to do, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you experience difficulty making sure to take your medicine, approach your pharmacist for a few indications.
If you take excessively (overdose)
Promptly phone your doctor, or the Poisons Information Center on 13 11 26 for counsel, or go to the Accident and Emergency Department at the closest clinic, if you feel that you or any other person may have taken excessively Eliquis.
- Do this regardless of whether there are no indications of uneasiness or harming. You may require pressing therapeutic consideration.
- Side effects of an overdose may incorporate draining that does not stop.
While you are taking Eliquis
Things you should do
- If you are going to be begun any new medicine, remind your doctor and pharmacist that you are taking Eliquis.
- Tell some other doctors, dental practitioners, and pharmacists who treat you that you are taking this medicine.
- If you will have any medical procedure or methodology, including dental medical procedure, tell your specialist, doctor or dental specialist that you are taking this medicine.
- Eliquis ought to be incidentally ceased before a medical procedure.
- Your doctor will disclose to you when to quit utilizing Eliquis before your medical procedure or strategy.
- Your doctor will likewise disclose to you when you can begin taking Eliquis after your medical procedure.
- Tell your doctor that you are taking Eliquis if your doctor is getting ready for you to have a sedative infusion in your back (spinal or epidural infusion).
- If you wind up pregnant while taking this medicine, tell your doctor right away.
- If you are going to have any blood tests, tell your doctor that you are taking this medicine. It might meddle with the consequences of a few tests.
- Keep the majority of your doctor’s arrangements with the goal that your advancement can be checked.
Things you should not do
- Try not to take Eliquis to treat some other grievances except if your doctor instructs you to.
- Try not to give your medicine to any other person, regardless of whether they have an indistinguishable condition from you.
- Make sure not to quit taking your medicine or lower the measurement without first checking with your doctor. If you quit taking it all of a sudden, your condition may compound or you may have genuine symptoms.
Things to be watchful about
- Eliquis contains lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have a narrow mindedness to a few sugars, contact your doctor before taking it.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist at the earliest opportunity if you don’t feel well while you are taking Eliquis.
- All medicines can have reactions. Now and again they are not kidding, more often than not they are definitely not. You may require therapeutic consideration if you get a portion of the reactions.
- It very well may be difficult to tell whether symptoms are the aftereffect of taking Eliquis, impacts of your condition or reactions of different medicines you might take. Therefore it is vital to tell your doctor of any adjustment in your condition.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist to respond to any questions you may have.
Tell your doctor if…
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you see any of the accompanying and they stress you:
- tiredness, shortcoming, pallor, tipsiness, dizziness, cerebral pain – which can be because of low iron in the blood
- seeping from any piece of your body, regardless of how minor, as these might be difficult to control
- sickness (feeling debilitated), heaving
- loose bowels or clogging
- sore nasal entries and throat
- visit need to pee or agony while peeing
The above rundown incorporates the more typical symptoms of your medicine.
Tell your doctor as quickly as time permits if…
Tell your doctor as quickly as time permits if you see any of the accompanyings:
- intemperate draining or delayed dying. There is no antitoxin to turn around this dying. It is vital to contact your doctor quickly if you experience inordinate or delayed dying.
- stomach swelling, yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes (because of liver issues)
- overflowing from your careful injury
- swelling of the hands, lower legs or feet because of water maintenance.
- The above rundown incorporates genuine reactions that may require medicinal consideration.
Go to the emergency clinic if…
Advise your doctor quickly or go to the Accident and Emergency Department at your closest clinic, if you see any of the accompanyings:
- seeping from your nose
- if you have dull dark colored pee or blood in your pee
- or you hack up blood
- if you regurgitation and it is dark
- if you have dark stools or blood in your stools
- unnecessary draining or delayed dying. There is no cure to invert this dying. It is vital to contact your doctor quickly if you experience unnecessary or delayed dying.
- if you have a hypersensitive response to Eliquis. Side effects may incorporate shortness of breath, wheezing or difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, lips, tongue or different pieces of the body, rash, tingling or hives on the skin.
The above rundown incorporates intense symptoms. You may require dire therapeutic consideration or hospitalization.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you see whatever else that is making you feel unwell. Opposite reactions not recorded above may likewise happen in a few people.
In the wake of taking Eliquis
Keep your tablets in the pack until the time has come to take them. If you remove the tablets from the pack they may not keep well.
Keep your tablets in a cool dry spot where the temperature remains underneath 30°C.
Try not to store Eliquis or some other medicine in the restroom or close to a sink. Try not to abandon it on a window ledge or in the vehicle. Warmth and sogginess can pulverize a few medicines.
Keep it where youngsters can’t achieve it. A bolted cabinet something like one-and-a-half meters over the ground is a decent spot to store medicines.
If your doctor instructs you to quit taking this medicine or the expiry date has passed, ask your pharmacist how to manage any medicine that is left finished.
What it would seem that
- Eliquis 2.5 mg tablets are yellow and round with “893” on one side and “2 1/2” on the other.
- They are stuffed in rankle packs in containers of 10, 14, 20, 30, 60 or 100 tablets.
- Eliquis 5 mg tablets are pink and oval-molded with “894” on one side and “5” on the other.
- They are stuffed in rankling packs in containers of 14, 20, 28, 56, 60, 100, 112, 120 and 168 tablets.
- Not all pack sizes might be accessible.
- Eliquis tablets contain 2.5 mg or 5 mg of apixaban as the dynamic fixing.
- They additionally contain:
- lactose monohydrate
- microcrystalline cellulose
- croscarmellose sodium
- sodium lauryl sulfate
- magnesium stearate
- titanium dioxide
- glycerol triacetate
- yellow iron oxide (2.5 mg tablets)
- red iron oxide (5 mg tablets)
This medicine does not contain sucrose, gluten, tartrazine or some other azo colors.
Follow our Blog iHealthIndex for more Updates on Healthy Lifestyle.